Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Lyminge Open Day

My final post about Lyminge is about the open day which I lent a hand on. It was the hottest day of the year, so luckily most of us got out of digging! I was in the shade minding the 'Little Dig' where children (aged about 6-12) can have a go at finding some real Roman finds in our lovingly constructed 'Roman Villa' sets which are then filled with sand.....


...and the kids can have a go at finding the finds. There is also a wall (that occasionally sheds bits of stone to confuse us) and a mosaic to uncover...


...and then we have set up a reference table, also full of real Roman finds, that the children can compare their finds to and figure out what they have been excavating...


...and everybody learns something through playing in the sand....

..and someone managed to take a photo of me doing some work for once (credit to Alex for the photo!).

All in all everyone had a great time, despite the very warm weather. Regia Anglorum were there too and there are more photos on the Lyminge blog.

That's all from my Lyminge adventure. Again I'd like to thank everyone there for being so nice and letting me come in the first place. Here's hoping I can come back next year!


...to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment